Tutoring Plus advances educational equity by supporting youth in their academic, personal and social growth through free, individualized tutoring, mentoring and enrichment programs.
A world where every young person is empowered with the knowledge and confidence to create their future
In order to create more equitable access, we offer free programming within trusted neighborhood spaces and operate on our five key values:
- Equity: We believe that all young people deserve access to high-quality opportunities for academic, personal and social growth
- Empowerment: We equip young people with the tools to confidently advocate for themselves, their community and their beliefs
- Authenticity: We seek out, create and sustain relationships based on mutual respect and caring
- Lifelong Learning: We strive to continually learn and grow as individuals and as an organization to provide excellent and responsive programming
- Collaboration: We partner to make connections among our staff, volunteers, students and the greater community to holistically support our young people and broaden opportunity for all
Tutoring Plus is one of the longest-running out-of-school time academic programs for Cambridge students. In 1964, a group of mothers in the Port neighborhood seeking academic support for their children reached out to MIT students. What began as tutoring sessions at kitchen tables has grown to a center-based model that serves about 175 students in grades 4-12 each year with the support of nearly 150 volunteers from the community.